Fire Safety

Easy Ways to Avoid Fire

Would you like to make your family safer? Of course you would!

A 2004 study funded by the nation’s independent insurance agents found that more than 18 million American homeowners never check for electrical hazards. That is one out of every four of us. Electrical home fires result in 900 deaths a year and over $1.7 billion in property damage. These are startling statistics that should have everyone checking their homes for possible electrical problems. Here are some easy things you can do to prevent electrical fire in your home.

  • Check for loose-fitting plugs that can overheat
  • On all unused outlets accessible to small children, put safety covers on or replace with tamper resistant outlets
  • Walk around the house and touch all outlet plates. If any of them are hot to the touch or discolored, there may be a dangerous heat buildup at the connections
  • Never remove the third prong, the ground pin, to make it fit into a two conductor outlet. This could lead to an electrical shock
  • Only use the recommended light bulb size for the fixture or lamp
  • Make sure bulbs are screwed in securely because loose bulbs may overheat
  • Extension cords should only be used on a temporary basis
  • Replace smoke detector batteries twice a year

Some experts also recommend that you have your home evaluated by a licensed electrician at least once a year! With your home wired and so dependent on electricity, it’s easy for safety issues to potentially come up… without you even knowing it! Right now, Mister Sparky is offering complete safety inspections for FREE! It will provide peace of mind knowing your home is safe and sound for your family!

Call us at 602-566-9922 TODAY!!

Upgrading Your Phoenix Electrical Outlets

Most Phoenix home and business owners don’t give much thought to their electrical outlets unless they aren’t working. Because of this, many residences and commercial buildings have older electrical outlets in place.

Though they seem minor in the grade scheme of your home or business’s electrical system, older outlets have the potential to cause some pretty serious problems. Over time, the original outlets may not be the best choice for the inhabitants. Upgrading your electrical outlets can improve the safety, performance, and functionality of your Phoenix electrical system.

Older Outlet Issues

With age, outlets can degrade, causing them not to operate at the level they once did. Modern homes and businesses have a much higher electrical demand than those of decades past – if your Phoenix home or commercial building was built in the past century and the electrical system has not been upgraded, odds are that the outlets currently in place aren’t efficiently meeting the demands of the devices plugged into them. Or, the outlets may not be compatible with the technology you’re using.

They may not be delivering the proper level of electricity to these devices, causing flickering and power interruptions which may lead to permanent damage. As outlets degrade, settling can cause improper contacts to occur, which could cause sparks, arcing, and electrical fires.

Upgraded Outlet Solutions

Upgrading your outlets will help you make your home or business safer and more practical. Some common outlet upgrades we perform are:

  • Upgrading to GFCIs: Ground Fault Circuit Interruptors automatically cut electricity to the outlet in the event it becomes overloaded or exposed to water. They are a smart addition to kitchens, bathrooms, and utility rooms.
  • Grounded outlets: Many years ago, grounded outlets weren’t a requirement; if you live in an older home, you may have some of these in place still. Not only are ungrounded outlets unsafe, many modern devices and appliances cannot be used with ungrounded outlets.

Improved Childproof Outlets

Around 2,400 children suffer electrical shocks and burns each year, resulting from inserting objects into electrical outlets; as many as 12 child fatalities occur annually. If you have little ones at home or run a business where children are frequent visitors, it is important that your electrical outlets are childproofed to prevent their curiosity from becoming dangerous. While outlet covers have been around for ages, they can be inconvenient as well as difficult for adults to handle when access to the outlet is needed.

Today, there are advanced outlets available which make childproofing automatic! Tamper Resistant Receptacles (TRRs) look like standard outlets, but the receptacles are covered. When equal pressure is applied to both receptacles, such as when a plug is inserted, the cover plates will open to allow contact. TRRs prevent children from inserting objects into the outlet, preventing serious injuries.

TRRs can be installed by a licensed electrician for just cents more than standard outlets – a small price to pay for a child’s safety. For professional installation of quality new electrical outlets in your Phoenix home or place of business, contact Mister Sparky today.

Water Damage and Electricity

Phoenix homes and businesses can sustain water damage from a variety of sources, including storms, leaks, broken pipes, appliance malfunctions, and more. While water damage causes obvious visible damage to your floors, walls, and other construction components, you may not realize that it could have also impacted your electrical system’s wiring.

Dangers of Water Damage to Wiring

If the wiring within your Phoenix home or business has been compromised by water, it is critical that you not use your electrical system at all until it has been inspected and repaired. If no action is taken, you could face many dangers, including:

  • Fire hazard: Water exposure has the potential to damage your wiring, which poses a fire risk. Exposed wires and dangerous contacts can result when water comes in contact with your wiring.
  • Electrical shock: If you were to handle water damaged wiring, you could be shocked. Electrical shocks range in severity from minor to severe. Operating tools or appliances which were damaged can also cause shocks, as well as coming into contact with standing water.
  • Increased damage: If you fail to correct damaged components, your initial water damage could cause more damage to your electrical system as well as appliances and devices throughout the home. Your damaged wiring may arc and you may experience power surges or other issues which can permanently damage devices plugged into the system.

Spotting Water Damage to Wiring

To reduce your risk of the hazards mentioned above, you should learn to identify the signs of water damaged wiring.

  • Wires and devices under water: If you see any wiring, appliance, or device that is sitting in standing water or if you know they were in an area where they could have been exposed to water, do not handle them. A licensed electrician can inspect the components and perform necessary repairs.
  • Buzzing wires: If any appliance, switch, or electrical component makes a humming or buzzing sound, do not handle it. This indicates a rogue charge which can result from water damage, which will cause electrical shock if you touch it.
  • Standing water: If you find standing water which is in contact or could be in contact with electrical components, do not go near it. Water carries electrical charge and contact could cause a dangerous shock.

If you suspect your electrical wiring has sustained water damage, please call Mister Sparky right away. Our licensed electricians will inspect your electrical system and provide the needed repairs to keep you safe.